After last week’s sparring sans mouthguard and getting a sore wrist after kicking ass in class #5 this week, I decided to pick up some boxing essentials at SportChek: a mouthguard and wrist wraps.
I quickly sought out YouTube for instructions on how to wrap my wrists so I wouldn’t look like a noob trying to wrap them for the first time in class.
Yeah, they’re pink.
Unfortunately, I feel it takes away a bit of my street cred, no?
I look ridiculous.
I haven’t needed the mouthguard yet. Today I wore the wrist wraps with smaller boxing gloves than I had been wearing previously. I didn’t have any wrist pain when punching the bag so I guess the wraps worked at keeping my hand and arm aligned while I threw punches.
Move of the Day:
Pad Work: This was the first class that I was able to do pad work with the instructor holding the pads while I kicked and punched. The instructors took us aside one at a time and did pad work one-on-one while the others worked on the punching bag. I felt like I could use a lot more power than when working with a partner because punching the instructor is like fighting a brick wall. He didn’t flinch no matter how hard I punched or kicked It was a lot of fun and was probably my favourite thing so far.
- Jogging; Shuffling; Skipping
- Shadow boxing with sprawl
- 2 min intervals of combos called out by the instructor (about 10-12 times)
- 15 s intervals of speed jabs (x4)
- 15 s intervals of power – any combo of punches (x4)
- 15 s intervals of the power – combo: left jab, right jab, left hook, right roundhouse kick (x4)
- 15 s intervals of speed knees (x4)
Move of the Day:
Skipping Rope: I like skipping. I’m not great at it — I often trip over the rope– but I find it to be a fun form of cardio. We did 10 minutes of skipping. After the 10 minutes were up the instructor came to me and said “Great job! Not a lot of people can skip for 10 minutes.”
And I thought, Skipping? That’s the hard thing? Last week you made us run sprints for, like, an eternity! But, I just smiled and thanked him, because I guess everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.
- 10 minutes of jump rope (30 sec speed, 30 sec recovery)
- Burpees for 1 minute – 2 sets (I did 26 reps and 20 reps)
- Burpees with 3 push-ups for 1 min – 1 set (I did 7 reps)
- Plank – 1 min
- 3 min intervals of combos called out by the instructor (about 5 times)
Stretching with a Partner
- 50 roundhouse kicks per leg
Leave a comment
Subscribe by E-mail
- Lose 6cm from my waistline
Start (Aug 15): 83cm/ 91cm/ 166.8lb
Aug 31: 82cm /89cm/ 166.8lb
Sep 10: 83cm/ 89cm/ 166.2lb
Sep 20: 83cm/ 89cm/ 166.2lb
Oct 1: 83cm/ 88cm/ 165.6lb
Oct 10: 82cm/ 89cm/ 166.6lb
Oct 31: 81cm/ 88cm/ 166.6lb
Nov 15: 81cm/ 87cm/ 169.4lb
Dec 1: 82cm/ 88cm/ 170.2lb
Jan1: 82cm/ 88cm/ 169.4lb
Feb 1: 84cm/89cm/171.8lb
Mar 15: 83cm/ 88cm/ 170.0lb
Apr 15: 82cm/ 88cm/ 170.0lb