I’m taking part in Abby Sweets‘ 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies. If you haven’t seen it around yet, basically it’s a cookie/bar baking bonanza. One cookie every Friday from now until Christmas. Technically we’re on week 11 now, but last week I uploaded my Double Chocolate Chunk Biscotti.
I don’t bake cookies all that often. It’s dangerous– detrimental to both my health and my waistline. Truthfully, it’s less because I like cookies and more because I like cookie dough. A lot. Sometimes I have to double the recipe to end up with the indicated yield. I must have been having a serious cookie dough craving when I agreed to put my figure at risk by taking part in this.
Well, here goes nothing.
So for my first cookie I decided on a chewy, spicy, and very bold tasting ginger cookie.
These cookies should be rated R. They’re not suitable for children. The ground ginger plus the fresh ginger, the molasses, the unsweetened chocolate,the dark brown sugar– each cookie taste like an explosion of a thousand pumpkin pies in your mouth. It’s a pretty intense. It’s extremely decadent. It’s addictive.
Chewy Spiced Vegan Ginger Cookies Recipe
Recipe Adapted from Martha Stewart
Makes 2 dozen
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1/3 c. spelt flour
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1/2 t course sea salt
- 1/4 c. vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl mix margarine and grated ginger. Add brown sugar and molasses; stir until combined.
- Add the flour mixture, one half at a time, into the margarine mixture, stirring until just combined. Mix in chocolate, be careful not to overmix.
- Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before transfering to a wire rack to cool completely.
See these cookies on Finding Vegan.
Leave a comment
Subscribe by E-mail
- Lose 6cm from my waistline
Start (Aug 15): 83cm/ 91cm/ 166.8lb
Aug 31: 82cm /89cm/ 166.8lb
Sep 10: 83cm/ 89cm/ 166.2lb
Sep 20: 83cm/ 89cm/ 166.2lb
Oct 1: 83cm/ 88cm/ 165.6lb
Oct 10: 82cm/ 89cm/ 166.6lb
Oct 31: 81cm/ 88cm/ 166.6lb
Nov 15: 81cm/ 87cm/ 169.4lb
Dec 1: 82cm/ 88cm/ 170.2lb
Jan1: 82cm/ 88cm/ 169.4lb
Feb 1: 84cm/89cm/171.8lb
Mar 15: 83cm/ 88cm/ 170.0lb
Apr 15: 82cm/ 88cm/ 170.0lb